Thursday, September 11, 2008

To the Bicyclist that tried to kill me


This week I thought that I would take a break from my usual subject matter in order to address an issue that has been on my mind for some time.

There is an alarming amount of bicyclists in the Seattle area, this is fact that I am sure no one disputes. These said bicyclists as a group, I am sure, are probably fine upstanding members of their respective communities, that is until they climb on a bicycle. It's as if the bicycle it's self causes some sort of Jekyll and Hyde phenomenon. Enter bicycle exit brain. I never had an issue with bicyclists until I moved to Seattle. Then again, I never thought that I'd be sharing a four lane highway with a bicyclist. Here is the deal: IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IN THE ROAD, THEN PLAY BY THE RULES. That means signaling before turns, stopping at stop signs, and yielding to on coming traffic. I am generally a fairly compassionate person, but I find it very hard to feel sorry for a bicyclist that gets hit by a car, because most of you are asking for it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I want anyone get hurt. Just keep in mind that when you ride like an ass you may be putting someone else's life in danger as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear! In Athens, we have this same problem. And the pedestrians are excessively aggressive, too!