Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In Search of a Better Pot Pie


Being new to the Seattle area, I have to admit that I haven't really had much opportunity to immerse myself into its cuisine. This last evening afforded me such an opportunity as I accompanied my Mom to Clair's Pantry, A local dinner off Main street in Edmonds.
At first glance Clair's establishment looked both clean and welcoming. When we were finally seated our waitress, a young high school student in a dirty sweater, treated us to some excellent dinner rolls. They had just the right amount of crusty-ness, without being tough, and the inside was soft and delicate without being undercooked.
After perusing the menu, I finally decided on the turkey pot pie. Now let me tell you about pot pie. Pot pie should be a combination of meat, vegetables, gravy, and crust. In other words it's a big heap of pastry goodness. Clair's pie had all of these components, but what it didn't have was flavor.
The crust was damn near perfect, it was golden brown, flaky, not doughy, it was just a little thick for my liking. The pie had big ole' chunks of turkey; which is, let's face it, awesome. The veggies were tender and abundant. The gravy was the perfect viscosity, not to thick not to thin. It only lacked one thing... FLAVOR.
The most essential ingredient in any meal is always flavor. Clair's pie had so much going for it, but it was so bland that it was near impossible to eat. Don't get me wrong bland is not always a bad thing, but NOT when you're eating pie. Thanks anyway Clair it was a noble effort.

5 comments:

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

awesome post!

Trooper Thorn said...

Turkey is a most underrated meat. You have inspired me to include it more in meals. With any luck, it might reach the stature of condiment meat, like bacon.

I can't stand turkey dogs, but how about a hot dog with some turkey slices on top?

Moose Nuggets said...

I too love a good pot pie. When you find a perfect one let me know. Crust is definitely a key component, but I can imagine the disappointment of no flavor.

mama said...

Pot pie. . . mmmmmmmmm. . . Note to self: gotta make some a' that sometime soon!

Dave said...

Good gravy is the key to a good pot pie, but commercial kitchens use gravy from pouches, powders, or jars far too often, and BLAND is what results.